If you own an online store, your product descriptions are one of the most important elements you need to consider. These days consumers have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to finding the products they need.
So how do you make your products stand out from the crowd?
You write awesome, personality-filled product descriptions that inspire potential customers to take action. Product descriptions not only tell your customers why they need your products but make them believe that they can’t live without them.
What are product descriptions?
In literal terms, product descriptions are the words you use to describe your products. Product descriptions not only tell your customers how your products will solve their problems but how they will improve their lives.
Why product descriptions matter in e-commerce
Good product descriptions are vital when it comes to selling your goods online. They’re your voice. They connect your customers to your brand and tell them why the products you are selling are the products to buy. Get your product description right and sales will follow.
What to include in your product descriptions
When you’re writing product descriptions, make sure you include all of the information your customers will need in order to make an informed decision. Depending on the products you are selling, this may include:
- Care instructions.
Your product descriptions should also specify:
- Who your product is for
- How your product works
- Where your product can be used
- When your product should be used
- Why your product is better than your competitors.
8 tips for writing killer product descriptions
1. Define your target audience – think about the type of person who would want to buy your product. What makes them tick? What kind of language will appeal to them? And what you need to provide in order to convince them to buy your products.
2. List the features and sell the benefits – customers don’t want to read endless blocks of text about what your product does. The only thing they want to know is how your product will improve their lives. Keep the technical details to a minimum and expand on the benefits.
3. Watch Your tone – the tone of voice you use is a key factor when it comes to winning new customers. It’s not just what you say that matters but how you say it that counts. Don’t just tell your customers that you care about them, show them by using a warm, friendly tone that makes them feel at ease.
4. Make it scannable– product descriptions should be easy to read. Keep your sentences short and succinct. Limit the use of technical jargon and use bullet wherever possible. Aim to keep your product descriptions to a couple of hundred words so your reader doesn’t get bored.
5. Get creative – don’t just copy the manufacturer’s instructions and paste them onto your website. Get creative. Make your product descriptions sing. Add humour. Tell a story. Do something memorable. Something that sets you apart from your competitors.
6. Don’t forget SEO – don’t underestimate the power of SEO when it comes to writing product descriptions. Research your keywords, optimise your image tags and write title tags and meta descriptions that pack a punch. Don’t forget to format your content for web and mobile browsers.
7. Use social proof – people tend to believe what they read so make sure you include as many product reviews as possible on your website. The more social proof you offer, the more confident potential customers have in your brand.
If you need a copywriter to help you write your product descriptions, contact me for a quote.