One question I often get asked by new clients is why copywriters charge such high rates for their services.
And while I don’t mind clients asking, it is a constant source of frustration because people just don’t seem to get it.
They don’t understand that every single word they use dictates their success. The wrong words in the wrong places can destroy a business.
It’s that simple!
Like all service providers, copywriters come in all shaped and sizes. There are good ones and bad ones, and everything in between.
But when it comes to copywriters, you really do get what you pay for. Never choose a copywriter based on the rates they charge.
A copywriter who charges $50 an hour may take 10 hours to complete a job, while someone who charges $100 an hour may finish the job in a few hours.
This is why rates alone is not a good indicator when it comes to finding a professional copywriter that delivers the goods.
The easiest way to tell if your copywriter is professional and capable is by the way they interact with you from the moment you make contact.
How to tell if your copywriter will deliver the goods
A good copywriter will:
- Create a detailed project brief outlining your business goals and project requirements.
- Be professionally trained and have years of experience under their belt.
- Take the time to understand your business and the needs of your audience.
- Provide a fixed quote and clear project guidelines so you know exactly what you are getting.
- Allow for at least one set of revisions in their quote.
- Give you a firm delivery date so you know exactly when to expect their first draft.
But most importantly, a good copywriter will care about you and your business. They will be determined to help you achieve your goals.
When I take on a project, I don’t just scribble a few notes on a piece of paper and send it back to my client. I nurture the project from beginning to end.
I only ever sign off on a job when I am totally satisfied that I have done everything I can to help my client and that our journey has come to an end.
But I am not alone. There are lots of fantastic copywriters out there, you just have to do your research and trust your gut. That’s all you can do.
If you need a copywriter you can trust to help you with your content, contact me for a free quote.